On days like these...
Food needs to be hearty, warming and above all comforting, so what better way to start the day than with a bowl of steaming hot creamy porridge.
Porridge must be one of the cheapest breakfasts you can make whether you use rolled oats or oatmeal. I had stoneground oatmeal left over from making raspberry cranachan during the now largely forgotton summer, so that is what I used. I made my porridge with water then topped it off with creamy whole milk and a generous dollop of honey - Yumm
The list of things you can add to porridge is endless, but here are just a few ideas:
- Mashed up banana, if you're trying to lose weight you may find that you don't need any added sugar with this one!
- Grated or diced fresh apple, or stewed apple.
- Strawberries .. in fact any fruit you can think of!!
- Golden syrup
- Cream - golden syrup or honey and cream is my all time favourite.
- Peanut butter
- Spices especially cinnamon or nutmeg with apple.
- Hazelnuts, again I like these chopped and added with a little diced apple and cinnamon.
How do you eat yours?