Monday 24 October 2011

Still have intentions to declutter but well ...

...swanning off for a relaxing weekend away takes precedence.

Before I tell you where I've been though I must thank the lovely Vix for sending me a brilliant 1984 book by Don Aslett - "The Secret of How to Win Freedom From Clutter"

Brilliant cover illustration.
Back in my younger days I bought Don's book about how to do housework - read it from cover to cover and felt so inspired and virtuous that I reformed my slatternly ways forever ok reverted immediately to my normal housework hating self!

I have great hopes though that inspiration will be forthcoming and with the help of Don I will win my freedom from clutter. Well at least I will take heed of some of his wisdom and weed out the clutter I want to keep from that which truly is just useless "stuff".

Back to the weekend jaunt - we went to the village of Kirkholm near Stranraer and stayed here...

Obviously NOT taken this weekend in the howling gales and driving rain!


The weather was frightful - howling gales accompanied by bouncing rain, but we were all warm and cosy in this little cottage.


A real fire and original wood shutters made everything oh so cosy.

Friends from Dunoon travelled down to join us. They arrived much earlier than we did, so on our arrival we were greeted with a lovely log fire roaring merrily away in the hearth, with those lovely original wood shutters battened down against the night and a supper of steak  and wedges accompanied by copious amounts of wine.

The reading room!
Just how brilliant is this bathroom? Not only a bookcase opposite the throne no less, but a quirky little fireplace too!


We visited a stormy ...


...but nevertheless pretty Portpatrick.


http://www.loganfishpond.org.uk/find-us
The amazing Logan Fishpond. The pond was created in 1788 from a blow hole to be used as a fish larder for Logan House. The present day aim is to showcase native species of fish and to educate the public in how to protect them. The fish are returned to the sea every two years to enable them to mature and breed. Our guide was very knowledgeable and informative and we all thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

On Sunday we visited the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse.

Again very stormy, but oh so dramatic.

Now back home all safe and sound, but with lovely memories to keep me going through the continuing clutter declutter.

Linda xxx

11 comments:

  1. I found that book in a charity shop a few years ago, It is really good, although perhaps I could do with rereading it again soon...... your weekend away looks fabulous :)
    Sue Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely book to receive. The cottage looks lovely, shame it was such rough weather.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely weeked you had. I too love the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cottage looks lovely! And it is nice just to be away for a while
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the declutter, I'd be ok if it wasn't for my pesky kids! The cottage bathroom is brilliant - love reading in the bath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just imagine how snuggly the cottage felt on such a wild weekend, great to be able to close shutters against the weather and the world for a time. Love the photos, that fishpond is amazing, but the lighthouse my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! So glad you got away from it all. I'm off to the Lakes soon for a week's R & R myself. I always relish that first moment when I unlock the door, step over the threshold and think "Aha! THIS is what a home should be" - clean, cosy, comfortable and uncluttered:D unlike you-know-where!
    pamela xxx
    p.s. have made a start on the TASK. Let's see how much progress I can make now it's my full-time occupation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cottage looks stunning, especially the bathroom and I do love a lighthouse.
    Hope the book helps you. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Chick!
    Hope you got your card and gift today and had a lovely day being spoiled rotten.
    Love your pictures, it's a part of the world I've spent a lot of time in, I love Port Patrick I fell in love with the place when I visited there. The last time I visited the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse the wall surrounding it was covered in snails, I mean completely covered it was surreal!
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a glorious weekend you had!
    I love the dramatic beauty of Scotland, and still so want to visit!

    Love the front cover of your book too:o)

    Have a great weekend my lovely.
    Take care,
    Love Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can so relate to you on the decluttering -- endless battle for me as more stuff keeps finding its way into my home -- furniture from the cabin we sold, clothing from a dear friend who got thinner than me and gave me her stuff to wear or sell. It is helpful, but space is limited. I love your photos as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...